How to Master Emotions by Tonya Dawn Recla
This is the follow-up article to The Importance of Mastering Emotions in Transformation post. As I promised, this one outlines the actual process for moving through this step. I want to preface this by saying that this process works for most triggers. It takes a bit of practice in order for the impact to take hold but after a couple times it really becomes second nature.
There are some emotional triggers that run so deep this process won’t work. But for your run-of-the-mill triggers of frustration, anger, control, annoyance, jealousy, etc. it should do the trick.
- Recognize when you’re triggered (it doesn’t really matter what triggers you, just that you are triggered).
- Name the emotion (try to be specific, abandonment, betrayal, etc.).
- Feel the emotion (cry, scream, throw something, etc. if necessary).
- Assign that emotion to your chosen “little thing” (5 year-old you, a bunny, a kitten, etc.).
- Recognize that your “little thing” is the one feeling the emotion (essentially this is you observing from a non-judgment, loving position).
- Then open your arms and invite your “little thing” back home (you can imagine opening your heart chakra and placing the “little thing” inside or just hug it until you both feel better).
Trust me, I get it. Reading these steps may make you think the process is a bit silly. And it sort of is. But it works. Transformation doesn’t always have to be daunting and serious.
This is the quickest and easiest and most reliable process I’ve seen people use to transform through Mastering Emotions.
Give it a try and let me know how it works!