How do YOU manage your time?

Why Care What Others Think? Forums General Chat How do YOU manage your time?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jason 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Jason
    Participant

Some great tips here. On my computer I have an app called ‘Time Out’ which fades the screen every hour so I can do a quick meditation or get up and have a shake/stretch.

My vice is going on Pinterest or Youtube and then realising half the day has gone!!!!!!!

CynthiaC
    Participant

Thanks Carol! Your insight is very helpful.

carolbtx
    Participant

Cynthia, I can relate only too well to your putting out the fires and the subsequent collapses. As a teacher in a small classroom overfilled with ESL second graders, I thought my only option was to work harder and longer, and that I would eventually find a routine that worked. My principal chastised me for poor time management, and forbade me to remain in the classroom past six PM. As a consequence, my classroom got messier, and my planning was never finished, so I was not meeting the needs of the children. The inevitable breakdown was spectacularly public – at an in-service training workshop, surrounded by 200 of my fellow teachers – and resulted in my colleagues carting me off to the loony bin.

That was the best thing that ever happened to me; I was forced to put my needs before anything else. I learned to treat myself with respect and to listen to my feelings. Two years later, I found an online bully in FlyLady, to keep me focused on getting the predictable daily routines out of the way as fast as possible so as to allow myself to use more of my time for my passion.

I hope that you can be kind to yourself by anticipating the fires so that you can understand what they all have in common, and can develop routines to manage them that allow you to turn with pleasure to your own passion.

Carol

CynthiaC
    Participant

Mario… Thanks I’ll give those apps a try.

Carolbtx… I can totally relate. Great ideas!

For all…

So how do you handle the balance when in you’re in a mode of multiple fire drills that are back to back (usually addressing directives that are not in your control)?

My world is full of many dictated deadlines (nature of a writer/trainer role).

My usual response is put the fires out and get through the crisis phase. Then, collapse or even worse become ill.

As I get older, I’m finding it harder and harder to recover from these episodes.

Any suggestion for how to handle those situations?

carolbtx
    Participant

Left to my own devices, my tendency is to drift from one activity to the next, with no rhyme nor reason. While I can get a lot accomplished like that, I recognize that I have simply been going with the flow (or, as my mother used to say, “taking the line of least resistance”, so I focus on the word DECIDE, make a conscious choice of activities, and use my timer to limit my bursts of activity to 15 minutes. After 3 bursts of activity, I take a break to make myself a cup of coffee, wander around the garden, work on my seed collection, look up plant info online, or check in with Facebook.

Disclaimer time: much of my time organization came courtesy of FlyLady (flylady.net). Without her guidance I could not have made the move down here 10 years ago from Dallas, where we had lived, worked and brought up our four +1 children, and done it so that everything was quick and easy.

ssitts
    Participant

Lots of great tips in here! Thanks so much for the responses. Isn’t it ironic how technology can help us connect and disconnect?

Any other ideas? This is great stuff!

mario
    Participant

Hi Cynthia,

Try this app. This is a Blackberry app. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/84988/?lang=en

Worse case scenario

Set a Timer for 25 minutes to remind you to do something 😀

Gigaom has a few references to some Promodoro Timer apps.

http://gigaom.com/2010/11/10/9-free-pomodoro-timers/

JK

I used to do that. I did encounter the same exact issue that you are talking about. Taking those breaks not only helps your body, it helps your state of mind.

CynthiaC
    Participant

Unfortunately, I have an old Blackberry (that I’m not ready to part with yet).

Any computer-based apps out there that utilize the Promodoro Technique and that someone has used and liked?

jk
    Participant

Interesting…just yesterday I was searching for just the very type of timer app you linked to above. I found something, but your app looks like a better, simpler solution. I’m easily tempted to work for long stretches at the computer, but my back and neck do a lot better if I force myself to take a break every 30 or 45 minutes.

mario
    Participant

Cynthia,

Yes, the secret is to balance. We get caught up sometimes doing task after task and wow it can get overwhelming. Trust me I’ve been there!

It is also good practice to do that with your technology. Being the founder of TechLife Balance I can tell you that technology is one of those things that just take and take if you are not careful.

Timers work the best though. Look up the Promodoro Technique. There is even phone apps to help.

Here is the link for an IPhone app
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simple-pomodoro-timer/id496191025?mt=8

Here is the link for an Android app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tatkovlab.pomodorolite&hl=en

Good Luck,
    Mario

CynthiaC
    Participant

Excellent idea! Thanks.

So, the point of managing time in a holistic manner is to manage your time so that you always ensure that you have a work-life balance. Correct?

mario
    Participant

Hi Cynthia,

I personally like using timers for reminders of breaks not for length of time to do tasks. It makes it manageable for me that way. For example: I know I want a break in 30 minutes so I set a timer for 30 minutes. Then when I come back.. rinse and repeat. It’s nice to do that. The more frequent you do that, the more it becomes a habit. It also keeps that energy flow going very well.

Hope that helps!
    Mario
    Tech-Life Balance

CynthiaC
    Participant

I try to make a game out of my daily never-ending to-do list. I tell myself…you have to accomplish 1 item from the following categories per day:

* 1 play (this item is harder during the work week; I really splurge here on the weekend!!)
    * 1 exercise effort (WII or swimming for me! This category is my hardest challenge right now)
    * at least 7 hours of sleep (non-negotiable)

I have a prioritized list for work items (which is also a bigger never-ending list). In this category, I put a time limit on all work tasks. I work a 9 hour day…no more..unless there’s a critical deadline.

For Friends/family – that’s a category that I keep top of mind. I keep in touch via social networking. Also, I plan get-togethers with friends on a calendar basis. My mom…I see each week and talk by phone mid-week. My best friend – touch base weekly by email and get together once a quarter – or at least we try. Each person is different. I really have to work at keeping in touch with everyone.

Am I good at the game? somedays yes, somedays no. But, there’s always tomorrow…

Since I’m new to holistic wellness…can someone give a suggestion for a holistic alternative that might help me with my game?

ssitts
    Participant

Often I hear, “there’s not enough time”. I know we all have the same amount and some use it more wisely than others. As a successful professional (esp. if you’re a solopreneur or entrepreneur), how do you balance work, play, exercise, rest, friends/family, and time for self to remain healthy, happy and productive? What holistic alternatives help with this?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.